Friday, January 9, 2009

Achieving my goals AND eating Kung Pao chicken!

Kim here and it's Friday! Woo hoo!

So how did I do in sticking with my 2009 goals this week? Well, I started the week out right...I ate breakfast every morning and had salads every day for lunch. While I finished out the week with eating breakfast every day, today’s lunch is slightly off par. I should have packed a lunch, but snuggling in bed sounded like so much more fun.

Normally, when I'm at work I have short lunches, so a quick salad or sandwich is usually best. Today, however, I have an extended two-hour lunch, so I decided to go out. While I could have driven to Sweet Tomatoes or a salad bar, I found myself with a craving for Chinese food. Since Krag and I have started the healthy weight loss kick, we haven’t eaten out much, so today I am treating myself to Kung Pao chicken…and maybe a few wontons…maybe.

After a lot of healthy eating and a good amount of weight loss, I’ve decided you have to a cheat a little every now and then to maintain that healthy weight. Otherwise, if you constantly deny a small craving, it will blow up and you could binge on something, making it a whole lot worse than if you had indulged just a tiny bit to satisfy the craving.

Krag and I first started our weight loss because we wanted to look great for the wedding (those pictures follow you around for a lifetime) and the honeymoon (beaches...need I say more). At the same time, we didn’t want to be stick figures either, so we calculated our healthy weight and BMI index (no, not on our own...I don't want to do math if I don't have to). This website has a very easy and very quick BMI calculator and best of all, you don't have to sign up for anything, deal with any ads, or give up your e-mail address....You put in some figures and you see where you're at.

We were surprised at how much you can lose by watching what you eat, how you eat, and when you eat. For the longest time I thought exercise was the only way to knock off the extra pounds, but we have lost almost 20 lbs each with healthy food and vitamin choices.

So, for today, I will eat some Kung Pao chicken, but more vegetables than rice and eat a smaller, healthier portion. Its all about checks and balances.

No comments:

Post a Comment