Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I survived Siberia...

Well, I am pleased to announce that I still have 10 toes and 10 fingers despite conditions like this:


and this:


The kitties, and Krag, are very excited to have me home and I am very excited about 75-degree weather. Small trips like this help remind me why I choose Arizona.

In Arizona, when Mapquest says it will take you 20 minutes to get some where, it takes you 20 minutes. In Michigan in January, however, a 20 min Mapquest trip will take you 45 minutes plus the snow scraping from the car window, the car "pre-heat" program PLUS the time it takes you to personally bundle up in two jackets, one scarf, two glove liners, two gloves, and a hat. Just talking about it takes five minutes.

2 comments:

  1. And I bet you were in SOUTHERN Michigan? That is where the winter wimps live. Up in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan, we call that the tropics. We are way up on Lake Superior (next to Wisconsin) and get WAY more snow and WAY more cold.......
    But believe it or not, there are some fun parts...sledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing....and then when spring comes: it is such a celebration!!
    Glad you're home. Looks like your cats (and family) got lonesome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See http://florenceview.blogspot.com/ for my view of our weather today, worse than you have in AZ but not as bad as Michigan. Last week it was 60 and we were like sitting outside, ready for the swimsuits. It may turn into a 45 minute drive for 20 min soon. You forgot making sure the car always has plenty of gas for us in the more northern states, blankets and a coat and a snow shovel, some kitty litter, sandbags, icemelt, maybe a candle if you really get stranded!

    ReplyDelete