Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Charity Contest - Help us choose the first charity for 2009

After a bit of dicussion, we decided to make January's charitable donation (keeping with our goals for 2009) to one of YOUR charities, in the spirit of doing something new and different to bring in the new year.

So here's how it will work. We both have a reason for choosing the charity we have, which you will read below. We want you to do the same thing. Let us know which charity you would like to see a donation go to and WHY in the comments section of this post (please keep it about a paragraph or two) and at the end of January, we will choose our favorite and donate $50 to that charity...and receive all of their mailings for the next 52 years. ;-)

Because we want as many entries as possible, let your friends and family know what we are doing and have them post as well. The more participation, the more others can read all the stories, and the more impact we will all be having. Thanks ahead of time, because I know these stories can get personal and emotional. Ours are, for sure.

Krag's Charity: ALSA (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association)

ALS is better known as Lou Gehrig's Disease and if you know or have known someone afflicted by this disease, then you will be be able to relate to my experience. My grandfather found out he had ALS late in his 70's and slowly, but surely, he got progressively worse. First, it was his legs and he needed a cane...then, his arms stopped working...it spread to the rest of his voluntary muscles and he became bedridden...next his vocal chords left him and he had to blink 'yes' and 'no'...

At this point, I was 13 and when I went to visit him, I could see the pain in his eyes...Not the physical pain, but the emotional pain because he could not hug his grandson or tell his grandson how proud he was or that he loved him. All I saw as I stood next to his bed were tears slowly going down his cheeks. He could not move, talk, and could hardly breath, but his mind was as active as it was when he was 50. If there's a Hell, ALS is it. There is no known cause and no cure. That is why I give to ALSA in memory of my grandfather. I love him and miss him and will always remember him.

Kim's Charity: Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Like Krag, I chose the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society from personal experience. When I was a junior in high school, my grandmother was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Helen was such an amazing woman that even after radiation and chemotherapy, she never stopped smiling (and this is how I will always remember her: smiling). Supporting this foundation not only keeps my grandmother in my thoughts but also helps save other people from suffering the same way she did.

She was not expected to live through my senior year. When she learned I was going to be high school valedictorian and speaking for my graduating class, she decided she had to fight harder to stay longer. She made it to my graduation, which meant more to me than she ever knew. Within the month, she passed. She fought for me, so I hope my contributions can help continue the fight for her and all those affected by lymphoma.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you so much for stopping over at Reduce Footprints and following! You have such a wonderful blog here ... I'm going to follow you as well ... and I'll put you in my blog roll.

    Your charitable donation is a great idea. There are so many worthy causes out there. I think my first choice would be to the American Cancer Society:

    http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp?level=0

    Many people in my family, including myself, are cancer survivors so ... it's near and dear to my heart.

    Take Care!

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many worthwhile causes! I will support any organisation seeking cures for genetic illness eg diabetes (my dad), CMT (my nephews & brother-in-law), but my heart belongs to an organisation that is seeking to right injustices in over 52 countries.

    Voice of the Martyrs exists to support people who are being persecuted for their faith. Some are persecuted in smaller ways (spat upon on the street, etc), some in ways that result in torture, imprisonment and death. 160, 000 people died just in 2007 because their faith was opposed by their governments or fellow citizens. I believe in trying to stop random disease, but this deliberate disease of injustice is an even greater evil. Visit www.persecution.com for more info. Thanks for this awesome idea Team-K!

    ReplyDelete